Chris Denny. We discovered him randomly one summer after he played at the 11th st bar about 20 feet from my house. It took about 2 seconds of listening to his debut record Age Old Hunger to fall head over heals for him. Denny's jarring Southern falsetto comes from a different time and it damn sure doesn't sound like it comes from anywhere near New York City. Yet rumors have it that this Arkansas native has relocated (at least part time) to Brooklyn on the back of his signing to Partisan Records. Denny has struggled to find his niche, even playing some dates on the singer-songwriter lite Hotel Cafe tour. With Partisan, it seems like Denny has found a great home.
This October, he will be part of a stacked tour just announced today entitled the Green Manalishi Tour featuring fellow Partisan artists Deer Tick, Holy Sons, Dolorean and Paleo. Exclusive East Coast dates after the jump. Partisan has also kindly made up a killer sampler featuring tracks from all of the above artists including a brand new Chris Denny song. Tracklist ATJ. It seems that Partisan, an artist run label representing a group of "counter-culture misfits" is on absolutely the right track; and despite their worries about this "Bacchanalian gathering"we feel that it can only be destined for success. Right?
Mon-Oct-19 Chapel Hill, NC Local 506 *
Tue-Oct-20 Washington, DC Black Cat Backstage *
Wed-Oct-21 Baltimore, MD Sonar *
Thu-Oct-22 New York, NY Bowery Ballroom (Partisan CMJ Showcase) #
Fri-Oct-23 Providence, RI Lupo's Heartbreak Hotel #
Sat-Oct-24 Boston, MA Harper's Ferry #
* = featuring Deer Tick, Chris Denny & The Natives, Holy Sons, Dolorean
# = featuring Deer Tick, Chris Denny & The Natives, Holy Sons, Dolorean, Paleo
After the jump.
Partisan Records Digital Sampler:
1. Christopher Denny "Vacation" (UNRELEASED)
2. Christopher Denny "Age Old Hunger" (from Age Old Hunger, 2007)
3. Deer Tick "Art Isn't Real (City of Sin)" (DEMO VERSION)
4. Deer Tick "Smith Hill" (from Born on Flag Day, 2009 Partisan)
5. Dolorean "Beachcomber Blues" (from You Can't Win, 2007 Yep Roc)
6. Dolorean "Buffalo Gal" (from You Can't Win, 2007 Yep Roc)
7. Holy Sons "Gnostic Device" (from Decline of the West, 2008 Partisan)
8. Holy Sons "I'm Healed" (from Decline of the West, 2008 Partisan)
9. Paleo "In the Morning Linda Dies" (from The Song Diary, 2009 Self-Released)
10. Paleo "Too Poor" (UNRELEASED)